Law Offices of Adam M. Cain, LLC Litigation Attorney
Don't Wait. Free Initial Consultation
Call: 706-395-5480
View Our Practice Areas

Is your child facing charges for underage possession of alcohol?

As a parent who recently sent your child off to the University of Georgia, you may have felt a sense of pride and apprehension when your son's or daughter's first day of classes began. Though you certainly wanted him or her to experience all that college life has to offer, you likely also wanted your child to focus on schoolwork and stay out of trouble. Of course, young people have a tendency to make mistakes, and your child's mistake may have led to your receiving a phone call from police.

Because college students and alcohol often go hand-in-hand, you may have worried that your underage child would come in contact with such beverages. Now that he or she is facing charges for underage possession of alcohol, you may wonder what that means legally.

Underage laws

Though most people know that individuals under the age of 21 cannot legally drink alcohol in most situations, many parties may not realize that individuals under the legal drinking age also cannot possess alcohol. As a result, your child could face charges if police suspect the underage person of any of the following:

  • Making an attempt to purchase alcohol
  • Alcohol consumption
  • Possession of alcohol

Peer pressure can often impact students' judgment, and your child may have been pressured into a situation in which he or she came in contact with alcoholic beverages. On the other hand, he or she may have attended a party where alcohol was present, and though he or she did not consume or possess alcohol, police may have filed a citation, nonetheless.

Defending against UPA charges

You may have serious concerns about how criminal charges relating to underage possession of alcohol could affect your child now and in the future. Luckily, you and your child do not have to simply accept these allegations. Criminal defense options are available, and by exploring these avenues, you and your child may have the ability to move forward with a defense with which you both feel comfortable.

Because any type of criminal situation can prove complicated to address, you may wish to find out more information on your child's particular circumstances by obtaining reliable legal facts. Consulting with an attorney could help you and your child understand his or her rights and possible courses of action. Obtaining a case evaluation may allow you to feel more in control as the case moves forward.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Adam M. Cain Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Law Offices of Adam M. Cain LLC
The Bottle Works
297 Prince Avenue Suite 24
Athens, GA 30601

Phone: 706-395-5480
Fax: 706-549-4694
Athens Law Office Map

Back To Top